Monday, August 1, 2011

But I am le tired...

I have always heard the term, "Oh, I slept like a baby"---exactly what does that mean?  Does it mean that you wake up at the most inopportune times?  Sleep for a few hours and awake screaming for a bottle?  Wake as soon as your sweet mother falls asleep?  UGH.

First of all--if you don't know me very well, I need to tell you something.  Sleeping in, for me, is the most glorious thing in the world.  When I have the opportunity to sleep in, nothing else matters.  All I care about it getting to stay asleep.  Falling asleep has always been difficult for me.  But sleeping in--late into the morning---ah!  That's just heaven!  When I was six, my mom and dad had to come wake me on Christmas morning to tell me that Santa had come!  I told them that the presents would still be there later, promptly rolled over, and fell asleep again.  In the mornings, I am constantly running late because EVERY morning, it is quite possibly the most difficult feat of my life to drag my body out of bed.  What can I say, I am a sucker for sleeping in. 

In college, I adopted a puppy--Molly.  I was convinced that she was my puppy soul mate because at 8 weeks old, she slept until 10am and didn't wake me until she REALLY had to use the potty.  I was in love.  I would get up, let her potty, and return to bed--and so would she! :) 

I knew that when I became a mommy, I would have to kiss this love affair goodbye.  Babies don't "sleep in"--I knew this.  I had fully prepared myself for this.  I had prepared myself to have to get up with him in the beginning.  I knew I would be getting up to feed him for a couple of months.  However, I had optimistically hoped that my son would take after me.  I was sleeping through the night--12 hour stretches at three weeks old.  THAT is how much I LOVE sleep.  I thought, perhaps, he would be a good sleeper. 

Cue the Ruiner of Things.  My munchkin is still not consistently sleeping through the night.  We had a spell for about a week and a half where he would sleep great.  The past few nights, it's back to the old routine.  Up an hour or so after I fall asleep to eat.  
I was not ready for this.  Six months later, and I'm still having to get up.  I feel violated.  This interrupted sleep is really starting to get to me. 

One day, I'll look back and miss this, right?  I'll just keep telling myself that.  :)

I know that in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal.  I love that little boy so much.  He's such a blessing from God.  I love being his mommy, and I'm so thankful that he is happy and healthy.  But I am le tired...

No comments:

Post a Comment