Monday, August 29, 2011

Easy Vegetable Stew

I'm really looking forward to the fall--which has me thinking about my favorite fall dishes!  Cue the delicious vegetable stew!!  This one has a lot of ingredients, but only a few steps.  There isn't much preparation, it requires few dirty dishes, and is done within an hour!  Give it a shot--I committed it to memory after a few attempts.  It's worth it! 

1 1/2-2 lbs stew meat
32 oz frozen bag of vegetables (I buy the bag that has corn, green beans, carrots, and peas in it)
1 Can tomato Sauce
1 Can diced tomatoes
One Garlic clove, minced.
One medium onion, minced.
1 large or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped.
1/2 Cup Ketchup*
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Two bouillon cubes
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
Water--about six cups
Optional: Better than bouillon

*Ketchup is very important to this recipe.  It tastes very bland without it.  So, I wouldn't recommend skipping it. 

  • Sear meat in oil and garlic.  Add "Better than Bouillon" now if you wish. 
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and cover with water (usually at least 6 cups)
  • Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.  Make sure potatoes are soft before serving. 

I love to serve this stew with cornbread.  Also, I'm convinced it's more delicious the next day.  Even my husband, who isn't a huge fan of vegetables, loves this recipe!  Best of all, besides the potatoes--you can consider all of this non-perishable food!  So, you can keep it all on hand for when you are in a bind!  :)  I hope you enjoy this stew as much as we have!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment